If You Like . . . Three Bags Full Booklist
Sheep, animal detectives and other whimsical books ewe should flock to read. .
Annotations are from Advance, the Ingram Book Magazine, unless noted.
Three Bags Full: A Sheep Detective Story
Author: Swann, Leonie
Publisher: Doubleday $ 22.95 ISBN: 9780385521116 Date: 2007
A witty philosophical murder mystery with a charming twist: the crack detectives are sheep determined to discover who killed their beloved shepherd in this internationally bestselling tale.
Author: Maccaulay, David
After the last person has gone from the earth, sheep take over the world, make the same mistakes as man, and eventually they too disappear.
- The Android's Dream
Author: Scalzi, John
Publisher: Tor $ 23.95 ISBN: 0765309416 Date: 2006
To avoid war, Earth's government must find a type of sheep used in an alien race's coronation ceremony. To find the sheep, the government turns to Harry Creek, ex-cop, war hero, and hacker extraordinaire, who scours the Earth looking for the rare creature. They find it, in the unknowing form of Robin Baker, pet store owner, whose genes contain traces of the sheep DNA.
Author: Thomas, Michael A.
Publisher: Univ of Nebraska$ 17.95 ISBN: 0874173515 Date: 2000
This delightful comic novel from Michael Thomas will make readers smile, chuckle, then laugh out loud at the antics of the Eckleberry family and their human and animal companions.
- Seeking Whom He May Devour: Chief Inspector Adamsberg Investigates
Author: Vargas, Fred
Publisher: Simon & Schuster $ 14 ISBN: 074328402x Date: 2006
Each day, inhabitants of a small community in the French Alps find another of their ewes with its throat cut. When one of the villagers too is killed people begin to wonder: could it be the work of a werewolf? Soon suspicion falls on Massart, one of the villagers.
Note: a much darker sheep related mystery
- Freddy the Detective by Walter Brooks
For all ages.
- Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter by Susan Wittig Albert
Titles include: Tale of Hill Top Farm (2004)
- Mrs Murphy by Rita Mae Brown and "Sneaky Pie" Brown
Titles include: Wish You Were Here
- Midnight Louie by Carole Nelson Douglas
- Waldo Chicken Wakes the Dead: A Murder Mystery of Uncommon Proportions
Author: Goldsmith, Alan
Publisher: Windriver $ 12.95 (paper) ISBN: 1886249148 Date: 2004
Alan Goldsmith combines the excitement and savvy comedy of the pulp-fiction writers from the 50's and 60's and the sophisticated mystery writers of today. His eclectic cast of characters and his good sense for comedic timing promise hours of entertainment while the subtle twists of the mystery will keep you guessing to the satisfying ending. - Publisher Marketing
- Max Hamm, Fairy-Tale Detective
by Frank Cammuso (graphic novel)
There are a million bedtime stories in the naked city. This is one of them. When Max’s partner, Humpty Dumpty ends up dead. It doesn’t take a scratch and sniff to smell something rotten. And if Max learns the truth, alot of important people including Mother Goose, will end up with egg on their faces. Because in Storybookland dreams die hard. Fairy Tale Noir. Includes the story "The Big Sheep". The first Max Hamm comic originally ran in the 2001 Small Press Expo Antholgy - comix
Whimiscal Fiction and some assorted Talking Animals
- Monsieur Pamplemousse by Michael Bond
- Book of Imaginary Beings by Jorge Luis Borges
- Thursday Next and Nursery Crimes series by Jasper Fforde
- With by Donald Harrington
- What the Crow Said by Robert Kroetsch
- Un Lun Dun by China Mieville
- Island of the Sequined Love Nun by Christopher Moore
- The Quest for the Trilogy by Mel Odom
- Animal Farm by George Orwell
- Falling Upwards by Kassandra Sims
- Fables, Storybook Love by Bill WIlliams
Annotated lists of books receiving at least one starred review from one of four major review sources: Booklist, Kirkus, LJ and PW.